More About Mold. What’s the Big Deal?
Molds and fungi are found everywhere inside and outside, and can grow on almost any substance when moisture is present. Molds, when they reproduce, make spores which can be carried by air currents. When these spores land on a moist surface that is suitable for life, they begin to grow. Molds are essential to the natural breakdown of organic materials in the environment. Mold is normally found indoors at levels that do not affect most healthy individuals. When these levels become abnormally high as determined by indoor air quality testing or a mold inspection, remediation is recommended to be carried out by a professional mold remediation company.
If You Have Mold, You Most Likely Have an Indoor Water or Moisture Problem
Because common building materials are capable of sustaining mold growth, and mold spores are ubiquitous, mold growth in an indoor environment is typically related to an indoor water or moisture problem. Therefore, having a trained and certified Mold Remediation Technician determine the cause of the mold growth in your home is the best way of preventing future mold growth. Mold Inspection and Remediation.
Toxic mold growth may also be caused by incomplete drying of materials like drywall. Leaky roofs, building maintenance problems, indoor plumbing problems, or even high humidity can lead to mold growth inside homes, schools, or office buildings. Another common source of mold growth is flooding.
For significant mold growth to occur, there must be a source of water (which could be invisible humidity), a source of food, and a substrate capable of sustaining growth. Common building materials, such as plywood, drywall, furring strips, carpets, and carpet padding are all food for molds. In carpet, invisible dust and cellulose are the food sources (see also dust mites).
After a single incident of water damage occurs in a building, molds grow inside walls and then become dormant until a subsequent incident of high humidity; this illustrates how mold can appear to be a sudden problem, long after a previous flood or water incident that did not produce a mold-related problem. The right conditions re-activate mold. Studies also show that mycotoxin levels are perceptibly higher in buildings that have once had a water incident (source CMHC).
If you are susceptible to mold and mold is seen or smelled, there is a potential health risk; therefore, no matter what type of mold is present, you should arrange for its removal."
[Source: Centers for Disease Control, Mold FAQs]